Thursday 12 November 2020

Is It Warm? ๐Ÿค”

The morning started early today. It was up and get ready from 6ish. A quick pack and shower. I stayed in the boma so my stuff was all much together and ready to go. It was to be a stop at the ☕ shop but it was still closed, so down the drag a bit and then a left turn onto the dirt. The going was good. More mine dumps. Huge hills of dirt. "Rehabilitation" or whatever they want to call it. You can't see much going on. It looks like the area is deserted. The odd scrap here and there but that is about it.
Then suddenly ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ฃ. A car. We get chatting. 2 cyclists coming up from behind. This is part of their support team. They are riding from Langebahn. Well some. Taking turns in riding and driving. 5 in total. The 2 back up cars pass. I get moving down the road. 20 odd kms later, the town of Koingnaas. I stop for a coke and chocolate. It feeds the soul and the ass. I press on out of the town. As I leave the 2 cyclists are just coming through. We meet up and get chatting. They are a great bunch. Mainly the one girl putting the hammer down and the others are fair riders. It works well.
We don't see much. A lot more unused mine machinery and lots of earth piles from the process. I still don't know what to think of it all. De beers was obviously the main company but there are funny names now on the boards around. It seems like a very interesting layout. I wonder if anyone actually knows WTF is going on. 
The road is pretty straightforward. Very little climbing and descending. It is sort of running parallel to the ocean. About a kilometer or so away. The 2 riding at this stage are doing well. The lady and a man. We are moving swiftly. 
I am then informed one of the other riders has been dropped off a ways down the road. Todays stage was about 85kms. Everything was in our favor so it was pretty simple. Tailwind ✅ flat terrain ✅ warm ✅✅ it was definitely getting there. We were really enjoying the ride. Minimal cars too. It was fun. Just like that 3.5 hours, 85kms and the work for the day was done. 
I have been very fortunate to be invited to stay in the house they have booked ๐Ÿ†’️. A bed. To be fair to my setup I am good in the tent. But a bed is not to be passed up by any means. I am blessed to be here today. It is good fortune. 
Tomorrow is back inland. Springbok. Looks like another warm day. 110kms. I need this. I need bigger days. So far I am doing about 80 average with 3 hours riding. These numbers must improve ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿคฃ. It will be a covid test in town and a visit to the bike shop. That's about it. Then border post here we come. My Namibia route will change. Probably a few times. It looks expensive up there ๐Ÿคท‍♂️๐Ÿคฆ‍♂️ who would have thought!! So I will do enquiries at Springbok. But one thing, I will get there. It needs to be ticked off my list. I shall be happy when it is.
Off for a quick nap. I do hope you are all well. In fact, ๐Ÿฅšcellent. Top drawer. Life is good. It is what we make it. Worth living. Being happy. 
Miss you all. 
Chat soon
G

No comments:

Post a Comment