Wednesday 18 November 2020

Blinder

As mentioned, today was going to be a tough one. I had no idea what exactly to expect, apart from the fact that 3 people had said I should make sure my particulars are up to date. 
5am beep beep beep. ⏰. A 10 minute debate on whether I should go through with today's ride or not! I wait for the votes to come in. 1️⃣➖0️⃣ unlike our friend trump I don't ask for a recount. The ride will commence at: when I am ready. Shower. Wash away the nervousness. ๐Ÿฆท and barnet are done too. Feeling good. Bike is packed and everyone is ready by ⬇️➡️. I had ridden the first 10 or so kilometers on Monday so I knew this stretch. It was past the last few farms and accommodation venues.
The road (path) whatever you want to call it, goes south and follows an old river bed. It's tough going. Rutted. Sandy. Rocky. Generally pretty hard work. On more than ๐Ÿ– occasions I question my decision. I keep going. Averaging around 1️⃣3️⃣kms per hour. It is slow. I had heard about the rock formations near the road. I had no idea at the time what this person was trying to explain until I saw them. It's when you balance a few rocks on top of each other to make ๐Ÿคท‍♂️ a pile of rocks ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿคญ. Not sure the point but anyway. There in front of me were ๐Ÿ’ฏ's if not thousands of formations. It was actually pretty ๐Ÿ†’️. Photo below. Credit to Greg Squires. Thanks Greg ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ˜˜. Legend!
The road keeps going. A brand new toyota bakkie whizzes past me. ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ฑ. The driver waves. I return the gesture. I keep going. It is more of the same. Hard work. ๐Ÿ†™️ then, more ๐Ÿ†™️. As beautiful as it is I keep asking myself if this was the right decision. The weight of my bike and bags feels like the ๐Ÿ—ฝ. It is tough going. A small but steep incline. I hear activity at the ๐Ÿ”. It is the toyota, a large truck and a few herders trying to get the ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ onto the ๐Ÿš›. The entertainment wears off quickly. A short decline followed by more hard, long, sandy, treacherous road. It continues like this for a while. Then a ๐Ÿ‘ˆ onto a semi main dirt road. I got excited too quickly. While it flattened out it had more sand than landudno ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ–. I was on and off the bike. Pedaling when I could and pushing when I couldn't. 
This went on for what seemed ages. As I mentioned beautiful, beautiful scenery but it was starting to hurt. Eventually at about roughly 9️⃣0️⃣kms the road turns left again on to the tar. I pull over in excitement and finish my food. Biscuits and bread. It tasted like steak and champagne. Lunch done, I thought I was in the clear now ๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿ›๐ŸŽƒ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜…. 
A pass I had not counted on. I seem to be finding them when I least need to. What to do ๐Ÿค๐Ÿง๐Ÿฅบ. Well I am not turning ๐Ÿ”„ around now❕❗It is dealt with as best as possible. Once at the top I see a sign. Steinkopf 10 to go. I am very grateful. Into town. A few items to carry me over until I get to ๐ŸฆŒ Springbok tomorrow. I manage another 25 kilometers until I find this spot. A bush camp. Under a ๐ŸŒ. Hopefully safe.
My ☎️ is still on the ๐Ÿ˜ฃ so fingers crossed I can sort it tomorrow. 
Although it was a tough day I really enjoyed it. My ๐Ÿฆถ๐Ÿฆถ are sore tonight. 10 hours of riding I think. I am happy for my days journey. I am very grateful and blessed. It was a fantastic day.
I hope you are all well. Happy. In love (not with me). And healthy. I miss you all. Lots of thoughts today but I kept smiling. 
Chat soon.
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment