Sunday 21 June 2020

Hakskeen Pan

Today was incredible. I mean first class good. Driving towards Upington, I am thinking of this place I remember reading about and wanting to visit. They tested The Bloodhound there at the end of last year. It is called Hakskeen Pan. So I ask my friend Richard to do a quick google search and provide me with the necessary information on it. I don't have long to decide but make the call that I will go there. It is far. 250kms north of Upington. So I fill up with ⛽ and get moving. Well the drive is sublime. Beautiful rolling dunes. Not a hell of a lot to see but what is there is stunning. 
I am in no hurry so the drive takes about 3 hours. I am so relieved that I am on my way to see this place that I have to pull over yo relieve myself! The bush seems grateful so I continue on. 
A few Springbok are noted, as well as the usual goats and sheep. These things are literally everywhere. 
Coming over the last small dune my calculations and the sign ahead tell me I will see the prize very shortly. 
There it is. It is incredible. An absolute sight. I am extremely happy I did this trip. The pan is to my left and it goes for as far as the eye can see. I 💩 you not. It is phenomenal. I drive the tarred road and see the sign for the vehicle testing. 
Screw this I am going on. The gate is open and I have plenty of gas. 🚀 I get going. You can sort of see the line. It is marked out by white tyres. 150 160 170 180 then bang! I look up and see a sound boom. I have broken the sound barrier. WTF
Did you believe that shit! I did drive on it though. It's cool. It's super cool. Not at speed just along the white tyre section. It is really good fun. I would love to bring a Ford Velociraptor here and smash it out there. Man you feel like a kid again. Apparently the locals cleared all the rocks and debris from the pan for this. It was quite a few tons I believe. 

I sit here now, camped in my tent about 100 meters away from the pan. I am still so excited and happy I came here. It is so super cool. When they come back to test the Bloodhound again I might be here. It would be phenomenal to watch it. I mean they want to break the land speed record. That's about 650 kilometers per hour I think. You blink and you have missed the show. 😉🤣
So I leave you now. I hope this coming week is a good one for all of us. We all deserve it I think. 👍👌
Rest well, sleep warm and keep happy. 
💙

No comments:

Post a Comment