Sunday 2 August 2020

Yesterday

Yesterday was a good day. I had slept in the forest and there was a stream close by which had me clean and hydrated. The water from these streams is refreshingly cold. Washing your body with the running water is quite alarming. You get to feel the freshness and cleanliness running into you like a steam train. I wouldn't change it for love nor money. 
I was close to Oasis of which I knew there would be a sandwich with hot chips as soon as I could arrive. I think by now they have clocked me with that one. It definitely keeps the engines firing. 
All done with a glass of milk I thank the owner once again for my meal and pay the outstanding balance. I feel this exchange was one worth its weight in gold.
I decide to try and shoot through a small area just to the left of my route. By all accounts it should save me at least a sixpence in energy. I make the turn to the left and travel up the slight incline. I knew this part. You could see it from the road. It goes a bit further and then further still. I am now beginning to wonder how short this cut will be! I must have been 20 minutes in when I realized I had made the devastating mistake of not being right. I was still going up. This had now become the joke on me. It was not good. My stomach was trying to digest half a loaf of bread 2 tomatoes and a great serving of hot chips. It was not good.
To add to my dilemma it was now getting warm. Sorry excuse that. It was fucking hot. I was bleeding from both eyeballs and at least one ear. The thought of turning around crossed my mind. I couldn't now I was too invested in this mother of all fuck ups. I would have to be removed from this mountain dead before I was going to give in. 
So here I am writing from heaven. Yip that's petty much it. The hill won and I sit here talking to my friend Je Sus who says he is returning to see you all soon.
Well I get into this little village. It is pretty. Not worth the kidney and lung I left somewhere but a pretty little place. The good news is the exit to this place is another great big mountain. I fill up with water and wish the place well by throwing a match in the dry fields. Ariva Dache small village.
I return to the place where I would have been an hour ago if I had just taken the road more traveled. Anyway I am happy and back on track. 
It leads me to a pass I have been very recently. Sederbergpas. It is stunning. Busier than last time I was there but the views were still magical and breathtaking. 
Which lead me to my destination for the night. Good old Jamaka. Also quite busy.  I have found a quiet spot near the back. Borrowed my cushions from the camper and had an outstanding nights sleep. 
Today has been a quick shoot into town for supplies. It was relatively quiet all round which was pleasant. Washed and cleaned I shall rest for the afternoon. Maybe get me a beer. Let's see how the chips fall. 
Be good all. Chat soon and tale care.
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment