Friday 14 August 2020

Low Level What

Today was absolutely grand. I woke. In a bed. With a heated blanket. I had slept well. One wake for a pee at midnight and that was it. It had been sleep I was looking for after the previous nights mess. 
A quick cycle to the spar for essentials almost got me into trouble. While I am busy locking my bike to the security gate of the spar tops (that's the bottle store) to those not in the know, the security guard comes over and says I can't lock it there. A small debate starts as to why not. When I say debate I mean I told him it would stay locked there until I had bought the neccessary. Then he points to the sign where it says "chemist". Well same thing really just different medicine. I humbly apologize and move it to the fire hydrant. This time he just shakes his head and says whatever. 
Shopping done I head back. Collect my washing which was done by the lady owner and get on my way. 
Things went quickly today. Through Ceres. Over Michelle's pass. Stop for a quick pie. Into Worcester and going extremely well. I look for a coffee shop on my way through but no luck. I continue with my journey. 
Today has 2 options. Both roughly the same distance and time. I decide on the more scenic route and hopefully less traffic. It is a sharp left onto the road. The tailwind this whole trip has been outstanding. I mean pushing me along at almost 25km an hour. With 15 odd kilos of gear that is pretty good going. So anyway down the road I go. Same brilliant speed with not a care in the world. Up over the hill down the other side and this is where things change. There are some barrels in the road. Whatever. Boom straight through. Only to be met by a river. Yes a river. Not dance or cry me but a real river. 
There next to the river are is a sign "Occasional Flooding" I read that as when Greg is coming through we will flood it. I check my 4 maps. They all state it clearly. Occasional flooding. It is the Breede River and with all the rain it is flooding. 
I take my shoes and socks πŸ₯ΎπŸ§¦ off and start walking out. I don't get far before I know walking my stuff over is probably not going to end well. 
So I look back up the hill. The wind blowing me straight in the face and my day has just got 90 minutes longer. 
I slog it back up the hill and down towards the road. I actually find myself laughing. I had read the map the night before and thought what a stupid thing to write on a map.
Anyway here I am. Rivierplas Campsite. It is a cool spot. The only guy here. The boss man tells me there are no other bookings as there is a storm predicted for tomorrow. I know this too. I have tried to find the best spot for the 2 days. If you don't hear from me again you know why. I am 🍞. I hold my fingers crossed. Not sure what to expect. I turned around here when I first started this trip and called it quits about 2 months ago. 
Hopefully my decision to wait out the storm here pays off 🀞 
Until then. 
Signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment