Thursday 22 March 2018

Nearly time

So today was a little sad. I woke up knowing it was my last day of riding out of town. Tomorrow is a simple tour on the asphalt.
It started well. I woke early and was ready to go by 7.30am. The previous day when i checked in the owner told me a school was arriving for a holiday camp. School children everywhere!? Holy crap. Not on my time.
On my exit i saw the camp organizers arriving. Phew just in the nick of time. Sleep is still a little bit of a rear commodity. It's just difficult to get comfortable on a one centimeter thick mattress. This will need to be addressed for my next tour. It is the one thing i am prepared to carry a little bit of extra weight for.
It was a sharp right turn straight onto the gravel. I am used to these roads by now so off i go.
I worked out about 35kms to Franschoek. I was taking the road less travelled as usual so no rush. About 35kms into the ride i arrive at a small solitary gas station. Unless i have time travelled somewhere i know this is not my destination. I park up the bike outside and enter the shop. I enquire why they moved Franschoek and on whose authority. She looks me up and down and says you very funny aren't you?
The exchange goes on for a short period. I leave with the knowledge that my map reading is not good. In fact it's shit.
Roughly another 35kms to go before my legs will be resting for the day. Not concerned with this small error i wheelie out of the premises.
More ups more downs it was way too early to be finished for the day anyway. About 5kms before i join the major tarred road again i come across fields of blue cranes. Not sure if they are being farmed here or if this is just their local hangout. Either way it is an impressive sight. They were not at all phased by my being there. They were locals here and nothing bothered them.
Arriving at Villiersdorp i am on the lookout for a food stop. A great restaurant saw me fed and refueled. It was hammer time. 8kms down the road is Franschoek Pass. An absolute stunning ride. The road is a little thin here so you need to keep yourself safe. I generally ride on the other side of the road so i can see what is coming and adjust my finger signals to accommodate this. It works well. Well i am still alive so it works well for me.
Cresting the pass is a simple move. What lies below is art. Franschoek never disappoints. I take a few minutes to digest it all. The wind is howling so caution will have to prevail on the way down.
Descents are my favourite. Little work to be done. It dries the sweat from your body and the legs get a rest. Well that is until a car passes you and you didn't hear them. It takes all my skill not to meet the mountain and adjust my facial features. It was close but luckily no cigar this time. With the riding almost over i head for lunch. It is good. Chicken burger and chips. Just to make sure i keep my pants fitting.
All said and done a fantastic day. My last camp for this tour is set and bed in a few hours.
Tomorrow shall see me pass my brothers place first thing then homeward bound. It shall have lots of emotions and probably a tear. Not too different from when i left home 22 days ago. I have so many memories. You cannot put them into words or even describe them. They are personal moments that will never leave. Pictures to remind me of what i have seen and done.
Thanks all for reading and i will carry on this blog for time to come.
Keep in mind that life is for the living and make sure you are doing your best. When your number comes up it is only you that can be happy with your efforts or not. As much as life is a partnership it is also a sole journey. No one can take it but you.
Chat soon. G.

No comments:

Post a Comment