Wednesday 7 March 2018

Fun day 🤠🚲

Today was a bit of fun. I decided to stay at The Oasis another night. It left me with today to do as i wish. I wish i had now just stayed here by the pool. Instead i rode back up that Everest practice climb and down into the valley i went through 24 hours ago. I needed to see if i could ride that monster without getting off.
I left here around 9 and enjoyed the first climb back up to the summit. At 1000 meters above sea level you would think it would be a little cooler.
😂🤣 this is the Cederberg in March. The only time you will feel cooler here is when you are dead in a mortuary freezer and even then it's not entirely guaranteed. The view again was sublime. Looking down into the valley. Uninterrupted 360 degrees. Just beautiful but as i may have mentioned before a little dry.
The descent was nerve wracking. Every few seconds looking down at my speedo (Garmin) i was not wearing a speedo obviously. Speeds of 40 then 45 then 50 shit... test the brakes a bit. They squeal like julius malema but a sharp left is coming up. I need to slow down fast so i let julius have his last word before i am around that bend and hurtling towards the next one.
I really have fun and it makes me feel a little youthful again. At my age you have to be very careful as bones don't heal as fast as they used to.
I get to the bottom with a grin from ear to ear. It was loads of fun. Past the hotel and up the next climb. I go about 2 kms before i run out of water and decide to go back to the hotel for a cool drink and fill up of water. The lady from the previous day is there and we have a quick chat.
Back on the bike to tackle my demons. I put my head down and ride. I gave myself 40 minutes. I didn't look up much or actually do anything but pedal. I had a time to achieve. After 38 and a half minutes i was where i ndeed to be. Ecstatic with my accomplishment i get off and down a liter of water. Woohoo.
Back down the other side. Going hell for leather. I will need to wash my pants when this ride is over. Nothing can contain my excitement in the fun that i am having at that moment.
At the bottom before the Oasis is a sizeable farm. The owner is on a quad bike outside his gate. I stop and we chat briefly. He is also a keen mountain biker and very friendly guy. We briefly discuss the land issue to no resolve before one of his men calls for his attention. He disappears in seconds.
All in great ride. Another afternoon in paradise chilling out.
Respect. 🙏

2 comments:

  1. Great writing Dave, really enjoyable post. Bit like the ride by the sound of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad in you in one piece 😘 you are a very talented writer babe....looking forward to the book

    ReplyDelete