Wednesday 14 March 2018

Calvinia

It was an early start. Around 7 the pedals were turning and the wheels on the bike go round and round, round and round. The wheels on the.... you get it.
The air was crisp and there were definite signs of rain somewhere close by. The wind was not to speak of. It was still and to be honest a little eerie. A bit like a movie when a creature falls out a tree with a rope and a chainsaw and runs after you. I had my mace on me so even if he did i was perfectly safe. Those movie characters should travel more prepared like myself.
The ride in itself is good. My legs are slightly stronger now and the weight of my luggage is not as taxing as it was when i started this adventure.
Things overall have improved since i left home. I don't cry myself to sleep anymore. I simply don't sleep. My back doesn't hurt when i wake up. Because i never sleep. You get my point.
I have also mainly been trying to stop in campsites. The 2 nights i haven't i have been more than a little scared. You just don't know what's out there even if you are armed with mace.
It could be like taking matches to a world war. Eventually you could burn down the opposition but there is a good chance they will get you first.
Back to the ride. It was great. A mild day with little to bother me. The roads were quiet with a slight descent. It was a riders perfect dream. The miles flew by and also some kilometres. It was fun. I could go on about the scenery but you would all fall asleep. It is as usual top class.
The thing about these towns out here is there is no shops between them. So what you leave with better be enough to get you to where you are going. If not the crows will come pecking.
I already posted the stationary movie of the springboks i saw. These guys were locals. Used to the noise of vehicles and sights of weird cyclists. They didn't even bat an eyelid when i stopped to admire them and show you what my day involved. I thanked them for their obedience and carried on. There was little else appart from the absolute tranquility and astounding layers of hills and mountains in every single direction. Again i thanked myself for doing this trip. It can be on the interesting side riding alone for any amount of time. I often find myself having strange conversations with....well me obviously. I think once i even gave myself a massive fright when i screamed for no apparent reason. I thought i was being hijacked. It took a while to realize it was only me around.
So here i find myself in Calvinia. Please please heed my advice and do not ever come here. Even the "greens" of the golf course are just lumps of clay. It is so difficult to try to describe the nothingness that these places hold. Dry and hot. The heat is phenomenal. One could be fooled into thinking they were in a desert.
However I would not have changed my route for money or gold. Ok maybe gold. It has been and continues to be a learning curve and valuable lesson into how fortunate and lucky i am.
I have met people and experienced great things. Also seen a side to this world which is cruel and sad.
Lunch has arrived so i will chat with you again soon. Tomorrow is a day of new adventures into the Tankwa. Something i am extremely excited about. It holds me in great suspense to see what is hidden ahead. I believe i will pass the entrance to Africa Burn. A month too early but still a sight to behold.
Take care my good people and chat soon.
à bientôt

No comments:

Post a Comment