Saturday 9 January 2021

Ready Set Go

Being the first day of a tour is always a bit nerve wracking. Not sure who, where, what or how. Today was no different. But now that I have set up ⛺ for the 🌚 I am feeling slightly better.
It was up. Wash the boat race and clear all the πŸ•Έ. Tom arrived 10 minutes early and Richard was running 10 minutes late. It was actually a perfect song. 
We did the usual trails. Through Bergvliet. Then past the Bobby shop. Onto main road and off it again in minutes. Rondebosch common was also just a quick blur. Then over the N2 and through Pinelands. This is where my company left me to fend for myself. 
After our goodbyes I carried on feeling the usual loneliness and empty feeling that I get on day one. It was unpleasant. 
Once I had got to the Stellenbosch road I was calm again and doing much better. My choice was to not stop until Franschoek. I had no food with me to try and lighten the load. It worked. The speed was good and things were improving every minute. 
Franschoek arrived and I parked at the PNP. Not much was needed. Back to my incredibly healthy diet of 🍞🍏 and water. I also needed πŸ’ŠπŸ§» and a few πŸͺ’. The beard is getting itchy and I need to get rid of it.
The Hillary paid and the πŸ‘œπŸ‘› packed it was off. Now I must add here that I don't mind the 🌑 too much. You sweat, it cools you down and you carry on. But today 😳😬πŸ₯΅πŸ₯΅ jus it was lekka wuraaam. I get to Franschoek pass. Slowly but surely is the order of the day. 
Now I am not usually one to wish unwell on others but some 🀬🀬 poes came past me in a Ferrari at a ridiculous speed. And 🀬🀬 that car was loud. I pulled over and took a second to pray to my friend that this 🀬🀬 🐈 poes would go over the edge. Well no such luck. About 1️⃣0️⃣ minutes later he comes back past me on the way down. Some young poppie in the passenger seat smiling like a Cheshire 🐈. I hope they both get covid.
Anyway no too long after this I reached the summit. Stunning. Just stunning. You could see the heat rising from the earth. It was spectacular. 
Here I am now. My usual first/last night camp. In the forest. It's still waruum. As soon as the 🌞 goes down I hope it cools a bit.
Today was the first day. I have put myself up for a huge trip. Hakskeen is far away. It will be warm. Windy. Hot. Dry. Warm. But I am looking forward to it. I am getting excited for it. It will be grand.
I will do my best to keep you all up to date. 
Be safe. Be well. Be happy. I miss you all.

Chat soon.
G ☮

No comments:

Post a Comment