Friday 20 April 2018

We meet again!

Todays ride was incredible. The first part would take me from Elands Bay to Picketberg. Roughly 95kms. The morning started spectacularly with me waking up. That was a good start. A little bit about last night. It was cold. Not just a little brrr but i mean cold. When you know you really do have a skeleton because your bones are rattling. I mean C O L D. So i pack and shower and get myself ready. Boom i am off. You may have heard it... around 7.10am. Yip that was me firing up the nuclear legs. Roughly 6kms in i see the most amazing sight. My heart sinks. I feel sad and disappointed all at the same time. It is a brilliant campsite. I stayed in town at the campsite which was absolute rubbish and bloody expensive. Here lay what campers dreamt of. Big open spaces. Your own shower and toilet. This place looked the shizznezz. Nothing i could do now but pedal on feeling like i owned a million Steinhof shares. 😭
Not to worry life is about learning and taught i was. Not sure what it was i was schooled in but off i went. Not much further down the road i see animals. Lots of animals. One of those little brown antelope, lots of Springbok and several billion ducks. I have photos but the signal here is pretty rubbish so i will post them in a day or two. I stopped and admired the creatures. Beautiful majestic animals the whole lot of them. Just getting on with their day eating and peeing. I said my goodbyes and the reactors turned back on.
Not long after that was i when i was shown the most amazing sight of the day. It was just spectacular, jaw dropping some would say. Double D'S. That's right folks double digits. The temperature had warmed to a refreshing ten degrees. I hoped it would not end there and i was not let down. By the end of the day it was a lovely 27. I know right.
Anyhow back to the ride. About 60kms in again i was summoned to the landscape by my eyes. Kudu. Lots of them.  I figured this is where kudu biltong came from. I tried to slow to get a picture for y'all but there must be something about a person on a pink bike shouting "picture time" that put them off. I can't for the life of me think what it could be.
The rest of the miles to Picketberg were pretty much standard. Pedal, move forward, pedal you get the picture.
Lunch was dealt with swiftly at Spur. I was starving. Burger and chips for starters followed by ribs and salad then a chicken for dessert. Delicious.
This left me with 20kms to my destination. Here i sit. A place called Waterval. Nice little place. The campsites are close. Very close. I heard my neighbor picking his nose just now. Yip... that close.
Last bit of news. It's good news. Mana seems to be mended and back home eating robbers. I am over the moon. She is such a gentle loving soul.
I shall be in the mountains for a day or two so probably no post until Monday. Safe and fun weekend all.
Lots a love G.

No comments:

Post a Comment