Monday 23 April 2018

How are we at Sunday.

Who knows where we are. The finale to my shortcut is a walk through a river. I take off my shoes and socks and cross. Oh shit. There on the other side is..... freedom. The tarred road my stinky gate keeper told me about. I was no longer a trespasser. I felt comfortable now.
Just over an hour down the road and i am eating at the motel. I was in Citrusdal. Basically a town that grows citrus. Rows and rows of trees with golden fruit. Amazing.
I stop by the cafe for a coke. I have seen the map. Not much ado about much. 50kms and i am where i want to be. I leave.
Less than 10kms in i start questioning my map reading again. I am just going up and i have already drunk a bottle of water. I only have 4. It is what it is i guess. Indeed i keep going. 20kms in and 2 bottles down. Not looking good. I am about half way up a mountain that makes  Everest look like a speed bump. I get to the summit. I have completely underestimated this day. As i think this the crows and buzzards start circling. I show them the bird as i don't want to look vulnerable. Inside i am scared.
The descent is a nightmare. Steep and fast as hell. My brakes are screetching and also fading. WTF. I guess the extra 30kgs i am carrying are just too much. A sharp corner i try my best to stay on the road. I remember i have a spare pair of pants just in case. I made it. No need for a wardrobe malfunction.
I keep going. This is the first day of my life i ever get really worried about running out of fluid. I am basically recycling my sweat just to stay alive. This carries on for another 40kms.
Then like an oasis in the desert i see it. Op Die Berg. The town i was aiming for. I have been here twice on my previous tour so i know wherei am going. Spar good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment