Tuesday 1 September 2020

Tuesday

I keep forgetting where I left off. So I am not entirely sure if I ever repeat repeat anything?! I hope not. But at my age I am just happy if I make it to the 🚽 before I go to the 🚽.
So yesterday saw me up early as I wanted to get here before the rain started. Up at 7. Showered 🚿 ready to go by 7.45. I squared up on Friday so knew I was in good standing. I managed to get to the top of hell's climb quite quickly. Once there I took a second to wave my goodbyes to the weeks long accommodation. I noticed a little dirt on my bike. I bent over and flicked it off. For some bizarre reason as I did that I knew it was πŸΆπŸ’©. I lifted my 🧀 to smell it and accidentally touched my top lip. It was very much indeed πŸΆπŸ’©. I put the bike against a tree and went over to a puddle to wash it off. I must have spent a good 10 minutes trying to get rid of it and the smell. You simply do not get ride of the smell of πŸΆπŸ’© without washing powder. 
So off I go. Fantastic trip down the other side of the pass. Into Porterville. Usual ☕ stop. Chat to the boss lady. She informs me of excellent Sunday trading as many people out to see the snow. She was elated I was cold. I asked her to step up the delivery of my internal heater. Coffee done it was off to Piketberg. Nothing in it. 30kms of semi flat road. My GPS took me straight to Spur for a πŸ”πŸŸ. It was good. Filled an empty fuel tank. I checked off to Spar (good for you) for a nights food supplies. 
On my departure I noticed a darkening of the environment. I got nervous and held all my goods tight. You see it on πŸ–₯ and always think you know what to do. I did. I reached into my bag shuffled around for what I was looking for and pulled out my raincoat. The clouds had arrived before I wanted them to. It was not good for me. Riding in the rain is my second least favorite kind of riding. What could I do? I put on my coat and tried best to stay happy. It worked. I was smiling again. It was to be temporary. 
I took like a bat out of china. Fast as I could. The others did too. We all hoped this wouldn't be our last supper. I swung a left onto the pass. Not too steep not too long but enough to see me get caught. I covered my mouth and nose as to not let anything get into me that would cause me to get sick. My eye apparel was fitted as extra caution too. With me looking like an ER doctor I was surely to survive this onslaught of weather attack. I coughed once and looked around. No one was staring at me or yelling at me to go home. It was grand. A free journey without FB or internet warriors or keyboard police around. I relaxed and settled into the climb. The rain was hard, but I was harder. It kept coming and so did I. It certainly was a battle royal. I knew I had to just finish to win. It certainly was tough going but a little wetness would not stop me.
Eventually I get to the gate. I knock on the office door. They recognize me. We greet. I get served hot coffee. 2 cups. Wa wa we wa. A quick bit of small talk. The rain stops long enough for me to make it to my cabin. Unpacked and showered I feel like a new man. It is an early night and a good rest. 
Today was a quick spin to the shops. No rain but something far, far worse. Wind. Not my own even though beans were had for dinner the previous night. A headwind. I don't know who controls the wind but it was there and back. I struggle with the wind. It is demoralizing. You go hell for leather and realize you are doing snails pace. There and back. It was not the most fun but I love riding my bike. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. Rain and mud destroys your bike. Wind destroys your soul. Well me anyway. 
Okay until next time. Keep it real. Beers and wine soon. You are buying. 

2 comments: