Thursday 3 September 2020

It's Not About The Bike

Well which drug cheat ever said that?! What a twat. Today was all about the bike. It just wants to go. Greg says here is good for the night and the bike says... no no nooooooo. Like a whiney house. This is the first tour for this bike. I bought it specifically because it is the best tool for this job. It doesn't have tea from 9am till 12pm. Then lunch from 12.30pm until 3.45pm. This thing is a hard worker. It is not a professional flag 🚩🦺 waver. It is a trusty Lynskey. I was gonna say steed but have you seen the steed bakkies? 😳 negative sir. 
Anyway I got up. Yesterday was a write off. Rained the whole day. Today, different kettle of fish. It was absolutely perfect. Packed and ready to go I say my goodbyes and hit the road. Down the pass into town. A coffee to keep things real. A pie in the pocket for lunch. I was set for a good day. Picketburg had been good to me and I will return there again. 
Not much to do for the first 50kms. Road riding. Boring as a game of test cricket 🏏. Then swing a right and onto some gravel. I had been missing this. The last couple of days had been mostly road. I just find it a tad boring.
Wow! What a road. It will connect me to the tar where I am heading. It is a fabulous piece of art. Not much but beautiful scenery on both sides. A little up then a little more. Then more up! It started to become a shitty road quite quickly. A bit more up. Then some more. Again more up. I mean how much up is there? A bit more just to rub it in.
Done with the up I reached the summit. It was beautiful. I took photos, well I thought I did. 10 stationary movies of my finger. Well so be it. I am not going back for a few pictures. The down was good. Normally downers are terrible. You feel all dehydrated and lonely. Tired and depressed. This was magnificent. I could barely contain myself. Almost going into the side of the road a few times I decide to slow down and be a tad more careful. 
Safely back down and not feeling too out of sorts I take on the long flattish dirt. It is not bad. I enjoy it and reach the tarmac safely. It's a left here.
I arrive at the little town or shithole I like to call it, Redelinghuys. I don't have many words to describe this place. They say a picture is a thousand words 🚽. 
I buy some water, a chocolate and a coke. The card machine does not work. Am I surprised? Nope. I almost can't believe they have the items I wanted. So cash it is 💸. Transaction done I leave. The 5️⃣ 0️⃣ are there to watch me depart. I am not sure if they can't believe what they are seeing or if they think I am a crim. Who knows. Who cares. By the looks of it they couldn't ride a bike from their car seat van to the bonnet. Not my concern. Stomach in chest out. 🛃
From there on it is pretty much plain sailing to my destination. About an hours ride with little to nill to talk about. 
I reach my camping spot. Great little place. Or is it? The lady at the desk reminds me of my sister. I just wanted to punch her in the face. Sorry everyone but this is life. She talked too much. Crap was her language. I recognized it straight away. She had the butler deliver my beers so I was grateful for at least that. 30 in total. Well it's Thursday and no sales from now till Monday so at least I have a small stock with me. One day he think of everything. Today is that day.
Right I am off to shower and wash the old bones. I figure I smell a bit as when I went to the Padstal I got a few looks that could raise the dead. Don't worry I put a spell on all of them. They won't do that again without any eyebrows. 😉
Until we meet again. Take it easy. Take it slow. But most of all take it.
Peace out 💙

No comments:

Post a Comment