Tuesday 29 September 2020

Day 1️⃣ again

A quick thanks again to everyone who put me up, who put up with me and all those I saw and chatted to. Again it is all very much welcomed and appreciated. I will not forget.
I woke up feeling uneasy. The first day always seems to do this to me. I get nervous and slightly afraid of what is to come. I got going pretty quick. The weather played it's part and so did the bike. It seems the forgetful ones were the legs. It took a few kms to get warmed up and going. By the time I was out of town on the Stellenbosch road things had improved significantly. I was moving well now and I was satisfied with the pace.
Into the "Bosch" for a few supplies. I had left CT with no food as it was my plan to buy them here. Well the Spar (good for you) was not at all. In fact it was (bad for me). After waiting 5 minutes to get a sausage roll i went to complain to the manager. Well I wasted my time there too. Amazing how some managers stick up for their incompetent useless staff. Anyway I got the other items and fucked off. Needless to say the mood was not good here. Attached to the fact that I now had a 5km climb. I ditched the bad mood on the side of the road and got going. It was good. Up and down the other side. The compulsory stop at the cafe for a coke zero. Yes I still drink that crap. Will endeavour on this trip to cut it out.
Into Franschoek. I stop off at the bike shop and greet the head hauncher. We chat for a bit. He admires my trusty steed. I acknowledge his praise with a "yes, it is beautiful". I talk about tyre pressure and he offers me an electronic gauge. I decline as my bank is on the blink since I woke up. He offers it to me for mahala. I still decline. It is 400 notes and I don't really need it or the extra 50 grams it will add to my load. We bid farewell I nearly get run over riding into the street. I middle finger the culprit (myslef) and get going again. 
Up Franschoek pass. It is a beast but gets dealt with quite quickly to my surprise. Down the other side. Like a child in a candy store I love all the turns and fast downs. It is a blast. My smile is from ear to ear. I really enjoyed that.
On the straight. I can see the tree line I am aiming for. Nothing could possibly go wrong now. As that very thought enters my mind I feel drops attacking my leg. Is it rain? No! Is it snow? No! Is it my water bottle? No! WTF is it...
I have run over something and the sealant is struggling to repair the damage. I stop and and attend to the situation. Eventually it stops leaking. I am happy. Suddenly the tyre pressure gauge would have been a god send. Who would have thought 😁😁
I get to my destination and set up. Wash in the river and have a fairly good nights sleep. All in all I feel okay. Grateful I have made it out of town alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment