Tuesday 1 May 2018

Africa Burn

The ride through was fantastic. I have done this road but from the other direction before. You should remember the post. It had very few kind words. I have to say that this trip was the complete same. Someone had obviously called ahead and said i was riding through in reverse. They had turned the wind 180 degrees and now i was going back with the same headwind. It was just brutal. I think the expression is called "farting against the wind." It just destroys the fun of the action.
Mid way i see a few cars pulled over. Young chaps. Drinking beer all excited for their first Africa Burn. They offer me a beer and i decline. There is one thing worse than riding into a headwind. It's riding drunk.... I explain this to them. They look confused. I knew what they were going through. When i was their age i thought as they did. Everything was more fun with a few beers in you. But as you get older life teaches you this is not always true. Who thought i would ever say that 😉😎.
If you will alllow me to jog your memories a tad you will recall i went to Africa Burn about 6 weeks before it started. It is a huge piece of land. Rough terrain. No trees. Harsh and dry. I guess that's why they call it a desert. I remember it being empty. Absolutely beautiful but empty. As far as the eye can see empty. What would it be like now? I wasn't sure. I tried a few pictures in my head but nothing. I could not have dreamt what I was in for. The last gate. Boom i was through. Over a small hill and at the top you could see it. Not to its entirety but you could gather enough from this vantage point.
I completely and stupidly did not take photos. I apologize for this to no end. I keep kicking myself for my rookie error. The sight was just phenomenal. I wish i could take you there. That exact moment. That exact vision. The smell, the shapes, the awesomeness and the excitement. I was trembling in my shoes. My hands were cold. The bladder was weak. It was an amusement park for adults. No it was even better than that. It was heaven for adults.
First to be seen was the works of art that are built simply to just be burnt. Hence the name. They are all completely different. It is in the eye of the artist that they are constructed. Wooden structures. Secondly to be noticed is the campsites. Huge areas of tents. Masses of humans sleeping in tight proximity. The sights go on for ages. I took my time here at the top of the hill to make sure i wasn't dreaming. It was jubilant and will be something i will never forget. I had arrived at my destination and i was about to go large.

No comments:

Post a Comment